Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The School Bell Rang!


Wheweeee, this summer sure has flown by and I haven't blogged as often as I would have liked to.  I wanted to spend as much time with my children as possible before another school year started so blogging had to take a back seat.  To those of you who contacted me, thank you for your concern, ya'll are too sweet!  Well I have some catching up to do over the coming weeks but I wanted to share our special day first. 




Yesterday was the first day of school for my children.  They are each in different schools due to their ages so we had our annual Back-to-School breakfast quite early and then repeated our back to school pictures with each one of them throughout the morning.  This year I made a Stuffed French Toast dish that you can prep the night before and bake in the oven while everyone is getting ready, add a side of sausage or bacon....so easy!


Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
You can get recipe HERE

Each year, since they started school, they stand on the front porch in front of the screen door and pose for a photo. 
 It's fun to look back through the old Back-to-School morning photos and see how much they've changed from year to year. 
They wait nervously for the school bus each year....even though they are reassured they will do quite well. 
I am confident of that and they always do.

It is always so hard to see them go....whether it is the 11th time I have seen them off or the very first as in my son's case!  Little bit of tears this year....from me!  I also started a new school year this year with my children as I will be working part-time in the district, I'm very excited and loved my first day as well so this year their momma had first day jitters too!

I hope that those of you who sent your children off for their first day had a good experience.  To those of you who no longer have little ones at home, you must have some great memories made. 

I have a Back to School story to share with you...
This story took place about five years ago, and is about a mom and her two girls (her son was not even cooking in the oven yet) all very excited to start a new school year.  The father took the morning off as usual to see his girls get off on their first day of school and the mother was all prepared well in advance, very proud of that fact I might add.  The girls were bathed, clothes layed out the night before, bookbags packed with bus passes ready to go, she had it all under control. 

The next morning they all rose early, got ready and had their big BTS breakfast together everything went so very smoothly, so nice and relaxing.  Out the door they headed to the bus stop at the end of their driveway...and they waited.....and waited some more (afterall the buses' are on a new schedule and always run late the first day).  Before long cars driving by started slowing down and looking at us them.  A few even rolled down their windows asking if school started today.  We she assured them that it did and they hurried off in a frenzy and some just looked plain confused.  Surely she thought they must have forgotten that today was the first day of school and must be rushing home to get their little ones ready! 

After what felt like an eternity to the girls, a neighbor finally drove by and slowed down to turn around.  They pulled in front of us them and said she had just been to the school to pick up her daughter's bus pass and that school didn't start until the very next day!!!  What?!!!   

Well that silly momma somehow got the start day wrong and had her children dressed, fed and all ready for the bus.......a whole day early! 

The children never let the momma forget that story either and each back to school breakfast there after they reminisced about the morning they were a day early for the school year!

Anyone else have one of those stories?  Do you have any back to school rituals?  Anything you do that makes your child's school year more organized and eaier to manage...I'm curious to hear, do share!
I'll be back to read and catch up over the next couple of days, thanks for stopping by!
Take care,
Dee

12 comments:

  1. Oh, what a sweet, sweet post. This story, I'm sure will be told to their children....and laughed at with fondness, I'm sure! How cute! Glad you all had a great "first day"! Your blog makeover is gorgeous!
    XOXO
    Joni
    PS: I've missed you but I totally understand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you're back . I dont blame you, I want to soak up every minute of free time with my little boy. I miss him so bad when he is back in school. Our school has been back in session since august 4th...Horrible I know. I just love your blog and look forward to seeing your up coming post. With fall and christmas close by I know you will have pics of all your decorations(Eye candy yaaaaayyy) Have a great week.
    Many Blessings,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too Funny, sounds like something I'd do :) We do similar things, clothes out night before, backpacks in the sameplace each day, baths night before, and the biggie, each girl has their own side of the front of the fridge. This way they can keep important school papers front and center, and that way mom doesn't forget :) Glad to see you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the story, Dee :) This is my daughter's last year of High School...I still can't believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya ! Glad to see your back as well. I always enjoy your posts ! Love the new look ! Great that your back to school as well lol , I bet it feels strange! Looking forward to your posts ! Heve a wonderful week !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! It is so sweet. My 3 are all in college and hubby and I go with them to get settled in buy clothes, pencils and paper...I still love 'back to school'. I sure enjoy your blog! And you have a wall quilt that I swoon over...it was in a picture quite awhile a go...but it is blue, red, and ???? But I swoon over it! Hahaha....I'm in the mood to sew just thinking of it!
    Blessings,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dee,
    Loved hearing about this year's first day of school and how you made it so special with the delicous Strawberry Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. You made a lasting memory with the kids the year you got the first day of school mixed up. That will most likely be one of their favorite stories and memories of all times! Have a good week.

    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well Sweet Dee..
    Your post was quite comical about the wrong day starting school.. There were a few times when I was in school that I woke up on a sat thinkin it was a school day getting ready and then realizing man its SAT and there is no school..LOL
    So glad your back and all is well with you and the hubby and those beautiful kiddos of yours..
    Hope you had a wonderful summer...
    Tootles..
    Shabby T
    come and visit me sometime
    http://shabbytammie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the sweet comments gals, I've missed you all too! I will be starting the autumn decorating a little late this year but better late than never. I'll share when I do. Love the dividing up the fridge idea Erin! Kim, that is as hard as sending them the first time, hugs to you....we will be there next year with our oldest! Joni...I need to see some updated photos of that cute grandson! Donna my sweet friend, I haven't forgotten your signs and they will be on their way, let me know if you like the french toast! Debbie that quilt that I think you are talking about is one I ordered some time ago from Gooseberry Patch when they had their catalog that I really miss! I wish I could have sewed that well! Shabby T, I remember thinking that same thing a few times as a teen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dee, Love your school post. Your new banner is just gorgeous and very inspiring.My son has his first college days and daughter first high school days. I only wish college life was all about college. But all unfortunately it has become about uncivilized chaos and those that want to learn and mature have to put up with others "way of life". Too bad. Thank God for solid families. I really enjoy all your posts and sharing lovely inspirations with us. Thank you. The first day school photos are beautiful.Thank you, Emelia

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sure brings back memories! My girls are in college now but I work at the school so I am still in the same cycle of excitement for the beginning of school. I can't believe it is September already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mom of 4 says...
    Not so long ago, I remember a precious Brown Haired beauty, who stole my Heart at First sight.All dressed in her Winnie The Pooh dress with the Red bow waiting on the School Bus for the First day of First Grade. Enjoy your Children,and God willing you will also get to enjoy your Childrens children. There is no Love Greater than that of a Family, no matter how they come about.

    ReplyDelete

Past Posts

Related Posts with Thumbnails